chat
clubs
maps
forum
FAQ
events
Valid XHTML 1.0
Valid CSS
Before CJing, stretch...your ENTIRE body.
this site is sponsored by Infinite Illusions

General
 New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 Isolation help
Author: ICU812 
Date:   03-25-02 02:07

Ok, so I've been trying to get my isolations down for quite some time now and I'm a bit frustrated. I can get an ok one going with my 4", but anything smaller than that and the ball seems to bounce over the bumps on my fingers and knuckles. Anyone have any pointers for smoothening it out?

Jacques

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
-Aristotle
Reply To This Message

Re: Isolation help
Author: Shyft 
Date:   03-25-02 02:57

Are you talking about a 1b isolation? or a 2b orbital?
Reply To This Message

Date:   03-25-02 03:06

Got the 2 ball orbital down pretty well, not as good as it needs to be (I figure it will smoothe out along with my 1 ball), but I have the basic mechanics of it down. No no, my problem is with a 1 ball. It's too bumpy.

Thanks,

Jacques

-Aristotle
Reply To This Message

Author: Shyft 
Date:   03-25-02 03:11

I dunno...I've been working on mine by doing a 2b separated palmspin, then pulling one ball off and observing the 1/2 - 3/4 of a rotation I can manage continue before losing the spin. This basically let me train my fingers to move the same way w/ 1b as w/ 2. then I worked on moving the ball as smoothly as possible w/o moving my hand, basically removing the isolation part. Then letting myself move the hand seemed easy by comparison. My main problem now is the unpredictability of the ball path, so the motion of my hand doesn't always elimite the bouncing and weaving of the sphere.
Reply To This Message

Author: Daniel Kerr 
Date:   03-25-02 03:28

The first one-ball isolation I learned was the walk on the palm-side of my hands. The best way to get this smooth is to make sure that the ball always leaves the same two fingers, rolls ALL the way across your hand and down the same two fingers again. Erm...try slowing it right down and practicing infront of a mirror. However, the best way to get an isolation smooth is to admit the depressing fact that there are no shortcuts and that it is simply a case of putting in hours of work!

Daniel Kerr
Reply To This Message

Date:   03-25-02 03:32

yeah, I was kind of hoping to be able to just skip all that and get to the good stuff. :)

Jacques

-Aristotle
Reply To This Message

Author: Daniel Kerr 
Date:   03-25-02 03:40

I know the feeling. The trouble I've been having lately is trying to do that same walk/isolation but on the back of my hands instead of the palms. That's even more bumpy and difficult to keep smooth but if you're working on your palms then you might aswell work on the back too. I wish I had. It looks neat if you alternate between them, say two walks on the palm and then two walks on the back. All this talk about isolation moves is making me itch even more for CJC 2024!

Anyway, keep working on those isolations, it's the bread and butter of contact juggling.

Daniel Kerr
Reply To This Message

Author: Robin Spehar 
Date:   03-25-02 20:24

practice--rest--practice--rest--practice--rest--practice--rest--practice--rest--practice--rest--practice--rest--practice--rest--practice--rest--

spe
Reply To This Message

Author: Aaron A. Gitzen 
Date:   03-26-02 15:26

It takes a long time. If you already have the contact juggling video from II, the one with Owen and Greg in it, I thought they had some pretty good advice about isolations.

The weight of the ball is a factor, heavy is easier to isolate than lighter balls, that is why you can do it with the 4" but not other balls.

My isolation with one ball is okay, not great, but okay, after a couple of years of on and off practice I am starting to isolate the 2.75 balls. So it does take a lot of practice.

One thing that you might want to work on, if you aren't already is spinning the ball in a circle around your palm. Practice making the best circle possible and practice getting the ball as close to your fingertips and the sides of your hands as possible. What are you doing? I'm not sure exactly but it seems to work. My theory is that you are getting comfortable with the balance of the ball on your fingertips and on the edge of the palm of your hand. If you cant' make a decent circle with the ball, then when you try the isolation it will be quite hard.

So to summarize, try one ball palm circles for a while and check out the video and practice. Eventually it will start to come together.

"I'm not afraid of dying, I just dont' want to be there when it happens."
Reply To This Message

Author: Ryan (Mellors) 
Date:   03-27-02 01:46

I agree with what has been said so far. the 1b palm circle iso is a really tricky one to learn, but one of the most rewarding. James Ernest suggests it as the first one to learn in his book.

My advice would be get a mirror. I find that while something may look isolated from my perspective, it isn't really.
Also, with this particular iso, try slowing down the speed of the travelling ball. I spent a year working at this trick too fast, when I slowed it down I gained more control. See how slow you can do it... start really slow then as you get better, speed up.

There is a lot of other good advice on this site about isolating, but you might have to dig for it. if using acrylics, focus on a point inside the ball. or just "feel" the isolation. Whatever works for you.

On a side note, not to put you off, but I just wanted to comment that isolations are tricks that you will never stop working on. Chances are, you'll get to a point where people start saying "hey! the ball is floating! how do you do that?!?" and you'll be happy enough. but there are other levels. Push for a more intense reaction from your audience by really working out your bobbles. the further you go and the harder you work, the less people will react with words and the more they will be mesmerized, the farther you will 'pull people outside of themselves' [moschen].
Reply To This Message

Author: autechre 
Date:   03-31-02 11:56

I've found that practicing the opposite of an isolation improves my ability to do the isolation itself. I don't know if you're familiar with the artistic concepts of negative space and positive space, but it's kind of like the optical illusion with the vase. You look at it one way, and it's a vase standing in empty space. Your focus shifts, and then it's two faces looking at each other. Same thing with isolations. The 1 ball palm circle has an isolative counterpart. blah blah blah
Reply To This Message

Author: Ryan (Mellors) 
Date:   03-31-02 18:16

Spoken like a true Sean Booth or Rob Brown :)
Reply To This Message

Author: autechre 
Date:   04-01-02 04:28

: )

somewhat surprised anyone has heard of them... if you're into this kind of music you should check out this program called soulseek (if you haven't already heard of it), it's a great file-sharing utility for electronic and other good music. http://www.soulseek.org
Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Reply To This Message
 Your Name:
 Your E-mail:
 Subject:
E-mail replies to this thread, to the address above.

this site is ©2001 Kae Verens. extracts may not be used unless permission is granted. images & text are © their submitters.